Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Ch. 3-4 Snap Judgements and Spontaneity


Chapter 3: The Warren Harding Error 
AKA The Danger of Thin-Slicing

      The highlighted example of Warren Harding as a presidential failure demonstrates how snap judgements can blind us to the truth. Harding was quite literally the "picture" of a presidential candidate and the people were so enthralled with him that they overlooked evidence to the contrary. Harding went on to be one of the worst presidents in history but he sure looked good while doing it. Gladwell illustrates what he calls, "the dark side of thin-slicing", where sizing someone up in the blink of an eye leads us astray. He discusses that we all have deeply rooted attitudes about race, gender, etc. that operate on an unconscious level, creeping into decisions that we make.
      I thought about this with my student base, realizing that each individual comes with his or her own preconceptions about me, peers, and even ideas. So, what can we do to change these impressions? Gladwell proposes that we tackle the root of the problem; our experiences and environment. If we introduce new experiences and change our environments that counter our impressions then we can slowly affect change.

How can I do this with my students?

  • Introduce them to perspectives that are different from their own
  • Have them engage with people who are different from them
  • Expand the teaching environment beyond the classroom setting

Ultimately, to promote any type of deeper transformation, I need to provide students with learning experiences that perhaps take them out of their comfort zone and challenge them to reflect on their existing beliefs.



Chapter 4: Creating Structure for Spontaneity

This entire chapter made me re-think the way I use the word spontaneous. The dictionary defines this to mean: "coming or resulting from a natural impulse or tendency; without effort or premeditation; natural and unconstrained; unplanned". However, Galdwell shares that, "When experts make decisions, they don't logically and systematically compare all available options." Instead, they make decisions based on their experience and intuition. They process decisions quickly using mental simulations which are based on previous experiences, in other words, their training and rehearsal. 

So, how do we create conditions within students for successful spontaneity? 
- Don't overload them with information
- Emphasize the process as much as the outcome
- Allow for reflection on how they came to their decision/outcome
- Active learning ( rehearsal) 

Can you think of anything you do that is second nature or a decision you have made that would be described as "going with your gut"? If you take the time to reflect on this, can you pin point previous experiences that have contributed to your ability to "think fast" or be spontaneous? 

4 comments:

  1. In regards to Chapter 3: Great stuff! As educators, I think this is so important to recognize for our students. I also think this works the other way. I know that I tend to make snap judgments of students at times. It's important to recognize this and make sure we are not creating barriers for learning based on improper or unfair judgments of their character, abilities or potential.

    In answer to your question for Chapter 4: The first thing that popped into my head is playing guitar. I've been doing it for over 20 years. After countless hours of practice (active learning/rehearsal/process), it's become something I don't exactly have to think about. I can play the guitar and create music almost spontaneously, primarily because of the time I have put into it. I definitely feel that my experience with music spills over into my daily thinking processes. This experience has affected how I view other aspects of life and learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about snap judgements going both ways. As an instructor I always have to be aware of my own judgements when I enter a classroom so that, as you said, I am not creating barriers. Over the years I have looked past snap judgements, learned a lot about cultures I was not so familiar with, and made some wonderful friends.

      Delete
  2. Your discussion of Chapter 3 reminds me of some of the activities we did in the Multicultural class. It was so valuable to first begin with a personal analysis of our own cultures to see where many of our own values and concepts were formed. Through listening to others share their culture in our discussions it became more apparent how this helped us understand others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, excellent tie-in. One of the dangers of snap judgments is the way that they can give free rein to our biases, which can often unjustly reflect positions of privilege. It's great to be aware of that, and to take active steps to avoid it.

      Delete