Monday, November 16, 2015

Ch. 5 Part II- Decoding Snap Judgements

Decoding Snap Judgements



The book continues on with examples of the power of snap judgements with examples of Pepsi's Challenge and The Chair of Death, two examples that demonstrate how dangerous a snap judgement can be. In the case of Pepsi, the issue was the context of the snap judgement and the negative opinion of the Aeron Chair was because people had not seen anything like it before and therefore were unsure of it. Because of these snap judgements, Pepsi and the Aeron chair took years to get the response they wanted.

How can we learn to "decode" what is behind these snap judgements/ first impressions? Experts like those mentioned in the book have created through their experience and training what Gladwell terms a "database in the unconscious". He says, "we become experts at using our behavior and training to interpret and decode what hides behind our snap judgements and first impressions."

So, how do I change the first impressions of my students so that they are not blinded by their snap judgements? Gladwell argues that experience and passion have the power to change impressions and build this database that will be unconsciously accessed. As an instructor, I need to create experiences that take my students out of their comfort zone and introduce them to different ways of thinking.


The science article, Why First Impressions Are Difficult to Change By: Rick Nauert Ph.D, explains how much weight these first impressions hold and how they must be challenged in order to break them down. 
                   According to Dr. Nauert, "What is necessary is for the first impression to be challenged in                    multiple different contexts. In that case, new experiences become decontextualized and                        the first impression will slowly lose its power. But, as long as a first impression is                                challenged only within the same context, you can do whatever you want. The first                                impression will dominate regardless of how often it is contradicted by new experiences."

Can anyone share an example of how their snap judgements have been challenged by an experience? Were you able to over ride that initial impression in the future?

3 comments:

  1. What sort of relationship is there between overcoming snap judgments and taste simply changing? I used to think that I wouldn't like Indian food (too spicy, too exotic), and now I rank it as one of my favorites. Is that a case of overcoming a snap judgment, or simply of taste changing over time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this reaction when it was first decided to adopt a new braille code. Then after taking some time and studying it at a deeper level I had a change of heart. I definitely over rode my initial impression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the case of people, it's pretty difficult for someone to "impress" me enough to change my initial impression of them. I can't think of many instances where a person was able to cause me to change my mind about their character. In the cases where it has happened, it has taken a lot (many experiences, and very extreme experiences). I think sometimes our own distorted perception or bias can have an effect on this as well. I remember severely disliking my high school freshman English teacher. I thought she was pushy and too strict. She ended up being my favorite teacher in memory. I experienced a shift in how I viewed her, in part because of a shift in my own motivation (perhaps this was caused by her as well). She was challenging but motivated me a lot.

    ReplyDelete